The Event Manager will manage every aspect related to the events from the advance planning stages through to the end of the event. The Event Manager will also schedule and supervise all security, event staff and volunteers, as well as interact with local public safety officials to ensure events run smoothly; coordinate communication between event staff and delegate assignments; be responsible for and ensure overall customer and lessee satisfaction and experience.
- Two to four (2-4) years of increasingly responsible experience in event management in a stadium, arena, convention center or public assembly facility setting
- Bachelors degree or better from an accredited college/university with major coursework in facility management, hospitality management, business management, marketing or related field
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Must have computer skills in Microsoft Office applications and word processing, spreadsheets, database, presentation and internet software in addition to preferred experience with AutoCAD or similar drafting software
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a current CPR certificate
- Knowledge of operational characteristics of events
- Ability to identify the needs of users of the facility
- Knowledge of crowd management and control techniques
- Knowledge of customer service practices
- Knowledge of principles of supervision and training
- Demonstrated familiarity with facility use contracts
- Knowledge of fire and public safety regulations
- Knowledge of A/V equipment and electronic systems in public assembly facilities
- Experience with budget preparation and control
- Familiarity with terminology used in entertainment/convention/public assembly settings
- Assist the Director of Operations / Events with planning and preparation for all events
- Provide leadership for event personnel and assist training, scheduling and managing part-time event staff
- Analyze challenges, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions
and implement recommendations in support of organizational objectives
- Advance all aspects of the event from staffing, production, labour & food and beverage.
- Assist in the preparation of building to meet the requirements of upcoming events/shows
- Assist with the completion of pre-show and post show settlements
- Prepares and distributes CAD drawings illustrating event set-up requirements.
- Function as a liaison between users of the facility and the facility staff
- Recommend and evaluate required event staffing levels
- Coordinate communication between building staff and show staff during load in and load out
- Investigate and resolve event-related complaints in a professional manner ensuring customer satisfaction
- Make hospitality arrangements as needed
- Communicate with municipal officials, including police, fire, medical services, event staff and public to ensure security of patrons and events run smoothly
- Review emergency planning procedures with all events staff for each event
- Create and distribute detailed data sheets prior to every event
- Assist and direct changeover crew with breakdown and setup of events
- Participate in all staff, production and manager meetings
- Act as a Manager on Duty (MOD) during events as assigned
- Must complete weekly reports
- Work a flexible schedule, including long nights, early mornings, weekends and holidays as needed
- Perform all the duties outlined in a safe manner following established Facility Procedures, Occupational, Health & Safety Rules, and Violence in the Workplace policies and W.C.B. Regulations,
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the essential functions of this position, employee will frequently stand and walk for long periods of time and climb stairs and/or ladders; use hands to handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. Employee will occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Employee will also use close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and adjust focus.
The essential functions of this position are performed both indoors and outdoors in the weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environments is usually moderate to loud.
About the Abbotsford Centre
The Abbotsford Centre is committed to serving as a leading Canadian sports & entertainment venue by consistently providing its guests with outstanding event value, unique experiences and lasting memories. Its vision is the City of Abbotsford as a dynamic hub for western Canadian lifestyle, heritage and culture inspired by sports activity, entertainment diversity and community connectivity. Managed by Spectra Venue Management, the 8,500 seat venue specializes in special events such as rodeos, circuses, ice skating, family shows, hockey, basketball, lacrosse, wrestling and gymnastics.
#1 venue in Canada with a capacity of 5,001 10,000 (2016 2018)
#1 venue in the Pacific Northwest with a capacity of 5,001 10,000 (2017 2018)
Listed in Pollstar Magazine as a Top 200 Venues in the World for three consecutive years (2016 2018)
Past Performances and Artists
Cirque du Soleil
Joe Rogan . and many more.
This job description is subject to change
- Extended health care
- Vision care
- Dental care
- On-site parking
- Vacation & paid time off
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $45,000.00 to $52,000.00 /year
- Large Event Logistics: 2 years (Required)
- Event Management: 2 years (Required)