This is a summer student or full-time temporary position from May 4 to August 31st, 2020.
Under the direction of the production editor, the Website and Layout Assistant is responsible for assisting in uploading and updating website content. Under the direction of the production editor, the Website and Layout Assistant is responsible for assisting in the layout of books and web content according to the prototype and series style sheets according to the deadlines.
Under the direction of the Art Director and Digital Products Manager, the Website and Layout Assistant is responsible for the following key areas:
- Input accurate copy into website layouts, InDesign layouts, and CMS tools.
- Format websites and manuscripts according to design specifications, templates, and style sheets as determined by the designer, managing editor, and publisher.
- Bring all problems concerning layout and design to the attention of the appropriate coordinator or manager immediately. These issues may include design conflicts, inconsistencies, poor photo originals, poor videos, weblinks, activities and so on.
- Identify existing and potential trouble areas during all stages of the website production process.
- Identify scheduling conflicts immediately to the production coordinator. Initiate a clarification of priorities whenever necessary.
- Maintain records of all activities, including: daily log of work completed and time spent, correspondence and memos
- Ensure that all projects are archived or filed digitally according to current procedures.
- Ensure that work and old drafts are forwarded to the project coordinator in a timely manner for filing and archiving.
SKILLS AND ATTITUDES
- Able to identify problem areas and request help at appropriate times.
- Visually creative, perceptive, and analytical.
- Able to follow direction from the production editor and project coordinators.
- Able to work on assignments based on priority.
- A talent for graphic representation and website content management systems.
- Skilled with Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Wordpress or other CMS tools, and Dreamweaver
- Able to work independently but cooperatively with the other members of the publishing team.
- HTML, HTML5 & Wordpress development experience
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
- Web Design or Development: 1 year (Preferred)